Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Coilovers


Fitting coil over suspension


I found some Jic Magic coilovers model FLT-1 on ebay for £560 delivered so I had to have them.

So before my wallet could even groan I’d set up a payment to the chap in Kuala Lumpur. 4 days later …. Yes 4 days! They were at my house. The condition was top notch, the set had the following features, pre load setting, height setting, adjustable front mounts, only other adjustment that would have been nice was damping, but beggars can’t be choosers. Would have been nice to have got a spanner with them, but that isn’t the end of the world.


Fitting the units was fairly straightforward, it was basically, remove the wheel, unbolt the bottom bolt/bolts (depending if it was front or rear) then undo the top bolts and drop the damper assembly out.


Then the new one was put into it’s place, I plan to get the car corner weighted and set up properly so I just made sure the amount of thread sticking out of the damper was roughly right. And fitted them.


The tops were put through the holes making sure the fronts were aligned correctly, the camber adjuster have to go the right way round!


I found I had to jack the hubs up with a trolley jack as holding it all together was well awkward and I was on my own, but a spare pair of handle could be enlisted at this point.

Once jacked up then fitting the hub to the damper is as easy as removing them. You will notice the hub is now a lot higher in the arch when jacked up.

As you can see from the pictures there is still a long way left for me to lower it, but I think it looks ok now. No need to go lower just yet.


As you can see from the pics below, the first is the std damper.. 13 inches from top of disk to arch.


The next is with the coilovers on... 10.5inches and that is just spring length !!



is this low enough for you ?



My dad nearly got his foot stuck !!!

Stevec



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home